Friday, January 14, 2011

Birth: part 2

With baby number 3, I was a little more informed and experienced, 
and decided to follow a different path.

My midwife, Suzanne, wears a tight bun on the back of her head and a pencil behind her ear.
She's very experienced, with over 1000 births under her belt.
I felt very confident in her ability to deliver my baby safely.
Unfortunately, I lived too far away for her to attend at my own home.
Instead, I chose to have my baby at Suzanne's birthing center.

My contractions started early in the morning,
but they were completely irregular.  
They continued all day, becoming more intense, but not regular.
In the early afternoon, we headed to my parents house 
(we lived an hour and a half from the birthing center, and they were only thirty minutes from it).
When we finally decided it was time, I was convinced we had waited too long and I was going to have my baby on the side of the freeway!
It was pouring rain, and there was an accident on the road, but we finally made it.
Suzanne was there waiting for us.
I delivered my little Opal into a pool of warm water, one hour after arriving at the Birthing Center.
Even though this baby was my third, I had never experienced anything like this delivery.
The pain was so insane I felt like I wasn't even in my body anymore, 
and then I was holding a beautiful little girl.
I was able to stay in the pool for awhile, just getting to know my new tiny baby.
No one took her away to weigh and measure her.
No one poked her or prodded her.
She was just with me.
I loved her instantly.
So peaceful, no crying.
And I had brought her here, all by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment